Hindi Online Test Privacy Policy | About Us | Contact

Naya Haryana

Sat, 24 October 2020

Home English Popular 90 Vidhansabha Haryana Election Country Video Politics Haryana Personality Your Opinion Social Media Entertainment Gossip

Is Gurgaon A Safe City?

Is Gurgaon A Safe City?, naya haryana, नया हरियाणा

24th August 2014

Naya Haryana

Gurgaon is one of the biggest and most important cities of Haryana. Spread across 182.7 square miles, with a population of 876,824, and located in the National Capital Region (NCR), Gurgaon is a growing hub of technology and enterprise and attracts thousands of immigrants each year. A bustling, stylish city that is home to businesses from across the world, it is unfortunate that Gurgaon is among the infamous cities of India, entirely due to its growing crime rate a concern the state administration has failed to mollify. While all sorts of crime reports come pouring in from Gurgaon every day, the women residents of the city feel particularly vulnerable with the low focus on women's security standards in the city.

On the Rise

Car and automobile thefts have been keeping Gurgaon Police on their toes. In 2011, over 2,500 cars were stolen. According to a 2012 report, about 9 cars are stolen in Gurgaon each day. And to think, cars constitute only 30% of the automobile thefts in the city. The remaining 70% automobiles stolen are two-wheelers. Murders and homicides is another major concern. Experts blame this on the booming gun culture of the city. Illegal procurement of weapons has become a fast-growing trend in Gurgaon city. With a bit less than 9 lakh dwellers the city has only 5,000 registered firearms. In 2011, there were 89 reports of murder from the city and in 2012, there were 82 reports. In 2011, 74 cases were registered under the Arms Act, in 2012, 72 cases were reported, and in 2013, the number was over 90. The firearms culture in Gurgaon has been the cause of some of the most sensational crimes in the city such as the 2011 Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway, Khaki Dhaula toll plaza murder. The city's rates of homelessness are rather high. Drug abuse, prostitution, assault, and burglaries are also regular crimes in the city.

Crimes against Women

According to the National Crime Records Bureau, over 6002 incidents of crime against women were reported across Haryana in 2012. Gurgaon has been particularly unsafe with over 22 cases of rape reported in 2012. In 2013, Gurgaon saw 29 reports of rape being filed between January and April alone. Expedition of justice is also a low priority currently with Gurgaon dependent on the Karnal forensics lab. Hundreds of women in the city are employed in offices that require them to work odd hours; most call centers require women to report for or get off at midnight. The security of these women is scanty and cases of molestation and harassment very high. In August 2014, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) issued Gurgaon police a notice seeking a report on the steep rise in incidents of abduction, rape, and murder of young girls in the city.

Measures Needed

Gurgaon needs a complete revamping of its security and law and order system. The primary need of the city is an active interest and the attention of the state government. Infusion of specially trained policemen and a highly active women's task force are essential for the city. Gurgaon requires additional security for women who work graveyard shifts. Legislation and law enforcement must focus on routing illegal arms trade in the city for a better and safer Gurgaon.

Looking Ahead

To ensure that the agenda of prosperity and development are high on our list of priorities, a crime-free Haryana must remain our primary ambition. Growing cities such as Gurgaon will keep attracting new enterprises and businesses only if safety and security are assured. To this end both the state administration and Gurgaon police need to pull up their socks. Deployment of additional women police on the street, especially during after-office hours, increased mobile security units, and a hawkish lookout of the security personnel is essential for more women to be able to live and work in Gurgaon. The city is one of the fastest growing in the nation the real estate rates are skyrocketing and business booming. Gurgaon has all the modern facilities required to define a developing state, if only the state administration were to make adequate efforts to transform it into a safe haven.


Other News